I finished the graphics for the website of the short movie I am working on. Here are the results, so far, as they are still subject to change by the client. The idea was to create a russian constructive era look and feel. I was drawn to tear at the pieces, to make them look drap and worn, contrasting their sharp edges and bright colours. I feel it highlights the underlying truth of the corruption and oppression which is central to the society in the movie...and it was fun.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
I'm still working on the short movie that will be shot later this coming fall. I've had to shelf the project for about a month due to other engagements but now I'm back at it. I'm currently designing/illustrating a set of graphics to be used with the movies promotional website. The stuff is meant to have a russian revolution era feel to it. I struggled like crazy on this one until I finally decided not to re-invent the wheel. I settled on one of my favorite russian constructivism designs and use it as the basis for the project. I'm not scoring points for originality here but the end result is pretty nice and getting done. I'll post the rest as I finish it. Below is the first and largest piece the site banner. I've included my original digital painting, the altered and brightened variant I used in the end and the final banner design it was included in.
Friday, June 11, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
Last time I posted some illustration work. It only shows the final colour pieces. Here are the pencils and inks leading up to the finish. I originally wanted to completely paint these images but time wasn't on my side and inking and digital colours rather then digital paints became the way to go.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
I was comissioned to come up with 4 illustrations incorporating 4 animals and 4 vehicles. The animals and vehicles were pre-chosen. Anyhow, I decided to take advantage of this contract and push myself as an illustrator and artist. Well I did, but in the process grossly overshot the deadline and ended up rushing two of the illustrations. Nonetheless the work got in at the 11th hour and I still managed to push my boundaries farther out as an artist. Here is the result...it was hell yo...but worth it.